Position: Carolina Region Manager
Company: American Forest Management
Location: Sumter, SC
American Forest Management (AFM) is the largest forest consulting and real estate brokerage firm in the United States. AFM currently manages over 6.5 million acres of privately-owned timberland and has sold over $3.2 billion in real estate transactions. With 265+ employees operating from 49 offices located in 16 states, AFM’s team of professionals is focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and harvest scheduling.
Summary: Responsible for overseeing the commercial planning, management and environmental protection of client forest properties for regional districts. Responsible for client development and management of client forest lands and resources as an economically viable enterprise. Maintains knowledge of timber, timberland values, client objectives and management systems to meet objectives.
Scope: The Carolina region is comprised of approximately 730,000 acres in South Carolina and portions of North Carolina. Management function requires oversight of 7 district offices with 35 employees. The position is located at the region/district office in Sumter, SC. Position requires regular travel within the Carolinas region and some travel to other regions of the US operations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership to the ~35 region operations staff to motivate and create alignment for a high performing operations group, attracting and retaining talent, and developing individuals and teams
- Provides management direction and oversight of AFM operations to implement the company strategic business plan including business development, client service, financial performance, staffing, and health & safety
- Provides leadership and support to 7 District Manager direct reports
- Visibly demonstrates and communicates the AFM culture including a commitment to the company’s vision, mission, values, and policies
- Demonstrates a commitment to zero harm safety culture, stewardship, continuous improvement, and operational excellence and communicates these values clearly and often
- Manages and enhances key client relationships through regular client contact and communication. Ensures that client needs, and requirements are being met throughout the region with consistence practices and quality service.
- Manages overall financial performance of the region by analyzing and reconciling financial reports; creating and administering capital and expense budgets; determining trends and areas of opportunity; advising others on cost control methods; and resolving budgetary issues.
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Provides overall strategic direction for a region by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer-focused environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
- Responsible for the oversight of the real estate services team within the Region in coordination with the Director of Real Estate Services.
- Oversees the management of contractors and forest workers in the field, which can include subcontracting companies.
- Receives and utilizes reports from District Managers on timber and land values and markets.
- Oversees planning and implementation of annual work programs and ensures the effective use of resources to meet the client objectives.
- Collaborates with District Managers to provide advice to woodland owners on silvicultural systems, rotation lengths, and species choice, budgeting, public access, ecological surveys, and forest certification as required.
- Monitors and oversees contracts between forest owners, customers, timber merchants, etc. within Region.
- Keeps up to date with legal changes and other developments affecting operations.
- Markets services to potential clients.
- Performs other Corporate land management activities as required.
- Participates in appropriate regional industry associations and committees.
- Ability to provide excellent client service with a focus so as to ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities.
- Strong proficiency in organization management, employee leadership, and relationship management
- Ability to influence and communicate so as to inspire commitment and bring alignment across diverse perspectives and backgrounds
- Ability to think and act strategically collaborating with other senior managers to create company strategies that lead to adding value to the business.
- Strong ability to execute and drive business results. Uses the advantage of the organization’s internal and external resources and talent to achieve success. Creates an environment where associates are held accountable for achieving goals and results
- Proficient in all aspects of forest operations including health and safety, silviculture, timber marketing and sales administration, land management, and forest certification
- Familiarity with timberland accounting, forest inventory, GIS, harvest scheduling, and land records
- Knowledgeable in the development and administration of land management contracts and other service agreements
- Experience analyzing property attributes for acquisition/disposition opportunities and various management strategies
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, or equivalent experience required
- A minimum of ten years of experience in forest management and forest operations
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong personnel management skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a variety of settings and formats
- Team player that leads by example and is self-motivated
- Strong computer and analytical skills are desired
Certificates and Licenses
Valid driver’s license. Registered Forester (where applicable); Real Estate Salesman/Broker (where applicable)
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Paid holidays
- Paid vacation schedule
- Healthcare and disability plan
- 401(K) retirement plan
- Eligible for annual bonus plan
To apply, visit americanforestmanagement.com) or contact Miranda Seegars in the AMF Charlotte Office at 704.527.6780 ext. 302.